Kwong Lee Company was established in Victoria in 1858 by Lee Chang. The company advertised itself as importers and dealers in “all kinds of Chinese goods, rice, sugar, tea, provisions, etc.”
The store on Cormorant Street in Victoria became something of an institution for Chinese gold seekers and it was often compared to the Hudson’s Bay Company as they carried such a complete range of food and goods.
As the gold rush progressed, Kwong Lee and Company established locations in Yale, Lytton, Clinton, Lillooet, Quesnel (known then as Quesnel Mouth), Quesnel Forks, Stanley and Barkerville.
In 1865 Lee Chang, resigned and sold his interest to Loo Chuck Fan.